Tuesday, October 21, 2008

What in our school cafeterias?

Mr. Morgan crashed and burned last night at 6:45pm. He had a big day at school and then Becky watched him so that I could still recover from my horrible cat allergy. I'm not a cat lover.

I was a little concerned that Morgan didn't have dinner. But, we decided that his sleep was a priority. My concerns were put to rest this morning when Morgan refused breakfast. I offered him three different foods and got a big "NO" from him on all of them.

We used to eat out for every meal. That sure does change when you have a kiddo. I'm constantly in the kitchen now and I'm really focusing on cooking from mostly scratch. It started out as a goal to keep a grocery budget. But, now I'm starting to see the health benefits from it.

This video freaked me out. Maybe Morgan should go to elementary school in Berkeley! I found out about this lady through one of my favorite food blogs.

I remember Dan and I were over at a friends house a couple of years before we had Morgan. Their son's school menu list was stuck on the refrigerator door. I couldn't believe the menu. It basically rotated pizza, corn dogs, hamburgers, Taco Bell (yes Taco Bell) and chicken nuggets. I told Dan to take a look at the menu and he swears that we ate the same junk in school. Did we? I remember having pizza and hamburgers. But, we also had real food choices. Watch this video and see the junk that is being fed to school kids.


This lady, Ann Cooper, is really on to something. Check out her food wheel for kids. My friend Becky came up a great tracking method. She uses a chart with magnets on her refrigerator. I'll have to get that scanned in so that everyone can see it.

Ok, picky little Mr. Morgan toddler, I'm now armed with more willpower to not give in when you won't eat the good for you stuff!

No comments: